Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rusty Red Truck

Original Watercolor by Terry Moss  16X20 image.

I wanted to show you the process I went through to paint "Rusty Red Truck"


I started with a photo that I took outside of Afton WY. this past summer. We were driving along and enjoying the beautiful day and passed this truck in the field. We looked at each other and my husband said, "Do you want  me to go back?"  Yep, I said.  The sky was so fabulous that I could not stop taking photos.








 I started the painting with a wash of Cadium Yellow Pale. I then started the sky.









The sky was so amazing I wanted to get it right. I used Cobalt and Phalo Turquoise, saving as much white as I could.









I  blocked in the truck and if anyone knows how I paint, I had to get some dark's in right away.













Warm colors in the back ground and now I am set for the details, and strengthening the colors.



 More color and detail. It proved to be quite tricky as I started to paint the worn paint. I also added trees in the back ground.                                     
The grasses proved be be difficult but finally I got the hang of it.


Close up of the fender and headlight.

Almost done, just a little more color and sharpening up a few spaces.

 

Prints also available


2 comments:

Beth Archibald said...

I love it Terry!

darlene said...

Saw your painting on Pinterest. I love old cars. Your painting is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.